Friday, May 3, 2013

The Bastard Bugger

Every year I spend my birthday fly fishing. On October 10th you'll find me stalking trout on any one of Maryland's wonderful trout streams, sometimes two! October 10th is also right in the middle of fall trout stocking here in Maryland so chances are whatever stream I go to has some easily fooled hatchery trout swimming around in it. It's become a tradition of sorts which now includes tying a few new patterns to take along the night before.
This year I decided to go to Owens Creek, a small freestone stream located in Maryland's beautiful Catoctin Mountains. There is one particularly picturesque pool I planned to fish if only for an awesome photo-op. I arrived at the pool and found a group of dreaded bait-fisherman. The water was very clear and from my parking spot I watched the bright new Rainbow trout spook as the giant sinkers and golf ball size bobbers of the bait guys crashed down. I reluctantly got out and starting rigging up my gear. The 3 fisherman left shortly thereafter. I would like to think the sight of this professional assembling his rod and tying intricate knots made them think twice about continuing to fish. Regardless I was glad they left although not to optimistic about my chances of catching my birthday fish.
I tied on the freshly tied Bastard Bugger and walked down to the pool. A few false casts later and my fly landed across the pool and I paused a few seconds allowing it sink. Two short strips of the line later I watch as a trout, who was previously fearing for his life , darted from ten feet away to inhale my fly. I set the hook and brought to net my birthday trout! I have since used this fly on lots of streams and have discovered swinging it to be even more deadly as well as dead-drifting it Czech Nymph style. I'm convinced the CDC collar has a lot to do with it's effectiveness and maybe the UV sheen of the Micro Polar Chenile body. Tie some up and catch some fish!

Recipe:
Hook- Streamer or Nymph size 12 to 10
Thread- 8/0 Black
Tail- Black Marabou
Flash- 2 pieces of black Crystal Flash tied either side of the tail
Body- Black UV Micro Polar Chenille
Collar- Black CDC
Weight- Black Tungsten Bead with lead wire underbody.

Tying notes: I like the tail to be a little longer than the hook shank to give the marabou the most action underwater. Also, I typically use two CDC feathers for the collar. CDC is delicate and you will loose fibers while catching and releasing fish.













No comments:

Post a Comment