Saturday, May 25, 2013

Quigley Inspired Sulphur

In keeping with the "Para-Loop"/"Hackle-Stacker" style of fly, here's one for the Sulphur hatch. I've found myself tying this style of fly a lot lately, not only because they look great, but I guess it's my own personal way of keeping Mr. Quigleys memory alive on the water. Unfortunately we lost him a while back but the body of work and innovative flies and tying techniques he left behind live on. That being said, I had his "Sparkle-Flag" pattern in mind when I was tying this. It's a pattern to try when the Trout have seen everyone else's Sulphur Duns and it just might trick those fish who want to see something different when they look up from their watery lair. Happy Fishing!

Hook: Tiemco 100 Size to Match Natural ( sz.14 shown here)
Thread: Yellow Uni 8/0
Tails: Microfibbets (I typically use 4 for sz. 14's and up, and 2 for sz.16 and smaller)
Abdomen: Turkey Biot dyed Sulphur Orange (coated with Veniard Cellire Varnish)
Post/Loop: 5x or 6x Mono
Hackle: Light Dun
Thorax: Fly Rite Poly Dubbing in Pale Watery Yellow
Wing: Light Dun CDC Plumes

No comments:

Post a Comment