Monday, May 20, 2013

A Little "Rusty" With My Spinner Tying

I'll admit I'm not too much of a dry fly fisherman. Probably when I get older into my golden years I'll re-discover the art of fishing a dry fly. But while I'm young and reckless I'm gonna nymph! Every once in a while I'll fish dries though, especially when the major hatches of the Eastern USA get going. One of the best times to fish a dry is during the spinner fall. If you had to choose only one pattern in one size to fish you would have to start with a size 14 Rusty Spinner. Everyone has their own version of this pattern and here's the one I use. It floats well and is easy to see.  Enjoy!

Hook: Tiemco 100 sz.14
Thread: Rusty Brown Uni 8/0
Tails: Microfibbets (For a size 14 I use 4 and split them leaving 2 on each side)
Abdomen: Rusty Brown Turkey Biot ( I almost always coat the Biot body with Veniards Cellire Varnish or Super Glue for durability and shine)
Wings: Light colored Snowshoe Rabbit, Natural Cream or Light Dun work fine
Thorax Cover: Yellow Craft Foam
Thorax: Rusty Brown Antron

No comments:

Post a Comment