Thursday, May 23, 2013

New Warmwater/Big Trout Combo, Thanks Tax Refund!

For the past couple years I've fished exclusively with an 8 1/2 ft. 5 wt. and a 7 1/2 ft. 3 wt. For the small Piedmont and Freestone stream Trout fishing I do most of the time these two rods are all I need. For Bass, Carp, and river Smallmouth I would usually over-line my 5wt. with a 6wt. line, but there's only so much you can do with such a set-up. Lately I've found myself under gunned as the fish I encounter are larger and the flies I use to trick them bigger. So I decided this season to put together a dedicated big fish/big fly combo with my Tax Refund. I searched around for a while until I settled on the Temple Fork Outfitters Mini-Mag. There are two rods in the Mini-Mag series, a 6-8wt. and a 8-10wt. Both are 8  ft. 3 piece rods. I chose the 6-8wt model and couldn't be happier. Although I might not win any distance contests casting it, I am confident in it's ability to cast heavy wind-resistant flies and muscle in the big fish that eat them. For a reel I went cheap  and chose the Bass Pro Shops Hobbs Creek Large Arbor. It's basic, reliable, and the money I saved buying it left me with enough to grab two spare spools. I loaded them up with a WF 6, WF 7, and kicked it old school spooling the reel up with a Cortland 333 HT 8wt. Bass Taper! I also have to mention Bears Den who I bought the rod from. They were the only shop I called that had the rod in stock. They boxed it and sent it out the same day I ordered it. It arrived a few days later and I was fishing! I highly recommend them and look forward to shopping with them again! Also, it's not a bad idea to cast a heavier rod now and again, especially if your used to 5wt's and under. Any casting flaws you have show up in a big way! Tight Loops!

No comments:

Post a Comment