Saturday, May 4, 2013

Simple Crayfish Pattern

While browsing around a local flyshop I stumbled upon a material from Wapsi called Buggy Nymph Yarn. It's a fine diameter multi-colored yarn which comes in a variety of colors. I purchased a pack of Crawdad Orange colored yarn in hopes of using it for some crayfish patterns. Well that was more than a year ago and it wasn't until recently that I came across it while organizing my tying desk. So I whipped up this pattern borrowing bits and pieces from other crayfish patterns I've tied in the past. Enjoy!

Hook: Streamer size 6-4, use a wide gape hook if possible.
Thread: Uni 8/0 in Rusty Brown
Eyes: Lead Dumbell
Claws: Rusty Brown Zonker Strips "mottled" with brown permanent marker
Antennae: Brown Round Rubber Legs
Legs: Brown Schlappen
Body: Buggy Nymph Yarn in Crawdad Orange
Carapace/Shellback: Medium Brown Antron Yarn
Rib: Brown UTC Copper Wire

Tying Notes: You may want to coat the carapace with epoxy or my favorite Liquid Fusion. A UV Light Cured adhesive such as BugBond or CCG would also work great.

1 comment: