Monday, May 6, 2013

My Most Productive Jig Nymph

     CDC is an almost magical material among fly tiers. If it weren't from a regular old duck, from around it's butt nonetheless, we might imagine it coming from some mythical creature. It is prized for it's floatation capabilities which are often falsely attributed to Preen Oil from the ducks Preen Gland. In actuality it's the structure of the feather itself and it's many tiny filaments that make it so buoyant. It just so happens that these attributes also make it look great underwater and maybe even better than it does floating on top.
     Lately I've been using more and more Snowshoe Rabbit in my dry fly patterns that before called for CDC. And rather than let all that CDC go to waste I've been incorporating it into my nymphs, wet-flies, and even small streamers (see my post on the Bastard Bugger). The jig nymph below is one such example of this. It's one of those patterns that makes me wonder why I carry hundreds of flies with me when I fish. It's one of those "confidence flies" we hear people talk about, for me anyway. I know it will catch fish and because of that I spend my time on the water focused on "how" I'm fishing instead of "what" I'm fishing. Tie a few up!

Hook: Umpqua C400 BL sz.14
Thread: Brown Veevus 16/0
Bead: 7/64th Slotted Gold Tungsten
Tails: 3 Fibers of Moose Body Hair Split
Body: Brown D-Rib
Thorax: Brown CDC Spun In Dubbing Loop
Wingcase: Black UTC Flashback Tinsel
Collar: A Pinch Of Brown SLF Spikey Squirrel (Just enough to cover up excess thread wraps from tying off the dubbing loop and wingcase)





No comments:

Post a Comment