Thursday, May 9, 2013

Articulated "Scrap Pile" Sculpin Pattern

I threw this guy together last night with bits and pieces from the scrap pile on my tying desk. I have gotten myself in the habit of saving all the cut ends and little bits of feathers and materials that would otherwise end up in the trash. Alot of people start tying flies under the misconception that it's cheaper than buying them, it's really not. Especially if you tie as much and as many flies as I do! Whether your tying flies to sell, or just for yourself I encourage you to be frugal with your materials. Enjoy!

Rear Portion:
Hook: Any 4x Long Straight Eye Streamer Hook (with a large enough eye to accept the articulated shank) sz. 4-6
Thread: Olive UTC 140 
Tail: Black Barred Olive Zonker Strip
Body: Black Barred Olive Zonker Strip (cross-cut if you got em')
Collar: Black Schlappen
Front Portion:
35mm Articulated Shank
Thread: Olive UTC 140
Body: Black Barred Olive Zonker Strip
Wing: Clump of Sculpin Olive Sculpin Wool (reverse tied then folded back)
Legs: Rubber Legs (I use old jig and spinnerbait skirts)
Pectoral Fins: Brown Hen Saddle Feathers
Collar: Black Schlappen (I used olive here but meant to use black)
Head: Olive Sculpin Helmet Size Small


No comments:

Post a Comment