Monday, May 20, 2013

"Attract"-ive Caddis Point Fly

Last year around this time I had one of my best days Nymphing a seldom fished stretch of Morgan Run. Me and my father had fished it a few days earlier and we were surprised to find so many Browns this far away from the more popular pools and glides that get hammered day after day. These fish however were somewhat wiser than the rest of their stocked brethren placing themselves in strategic lies right out of a book on "Reading The Water". The stretch was classic pocket-water and in order to be successful I would need to ditch the indicator, read the currents, and use a fly that would plummet to the bottom. I plucked a size 14. Czech Catnip from the box and began brushing up on my Tuck Cast. I could see the trout darting back and forth rhythmically feeding in his "Prime-Lie", taunting me. Finally I dropped my nymph a little farther upstream in a seam I hadn't tried yet, and as if propelled by a conveyor belt I watched 
as it shot right into the fishes lie! He took my nymph and the rest is history as they say. I've since developed this pattern for similar situations. Although the Czech Catnip still gets plenty of use I've found this pattern sinks a little quicker thanks to the slim profile created by the Embroidery Floss abdomen. And since the trout may only have seconds to decide whether to eat the fly or not, the segmentation the materials create is enough to convince them...Sometimes!

Hook: Partridge CZN sz.14-16
Thread: Olive Uni 8/0
Bead: 1/8th inch Black Tungsten
Underbody: Two layers Veniard Extra Fine Flat Lead
Abdomen: DMC Embroidery Floss Chartreuse
Inner- Rib: Sz. Small UTC Ultra Wire Chartreuse
Outer-Rib: 5x Mono
Shellback: Olive ScudBack
Thorax: UV Black Micro Polar Chenille
Extras: Olive and Brown Waterproof markers to "Mottle" shellback


No comments:

Post a Comment