Friday, June 28, 2013

Hackle Stacker Damselfly


My well earned vacation starts this coming Monday and I'll be kicking it off with a float trip down one of Maryland's famed Smallmouth Rivers, The Monocacy Scenic River. Aside from getting my gear in order and getting the boat setup I've also been tying lots of flies. I've tied a few dozen poppers, divers, and surface sliders as well as meaty streamers and plenty of crayfish to round out the standard Smallie menu. However I've also come up with a few new patterns to test out and this adult Damselfly is one I can't wait to try. It's nothing groundbreaking as far as fly design goes but I figured it deserved a post if only because Damselflies don't get the same respect from Fly Fisherman that other winged insects do. At any rate I'll let everyone know how it works out. It reminds me of when I started tying flies by fashioning a pair of vise-grip pliers into a makeshift vise and wrapping all manner of craft store feathers to whatever hook I could find with sewing thread. I had just finished tying what I thought were some great flies. I showed them to another angler while we waited out a rain shower under a bridge. "What do you think of these?" I asked him. He replied in monotone "Well, they're bound to catch something." Tight Lines!

Hook: Gamakatsu B10s sz. 6
Thread: Uni 6/0 in Doctor Blue
Abdomen: Light Blue 2mm Craft Foam (Feel free to use pre-made Damselfly bodies if you prefer not to make your own)
Wing: White Sparkle Organza 
Post/Loop: Strip of Light Blue 2mm Craft Foam
Hackle: Grizzly tied "Para-Loop" style
Thorax: Wapsi Life Cycle Nymph Dubbing in Peacock ( The best synthetic Peacock dubbing as far as I'm concerned)
Eyes: Large Black Plastic Bead-Chain



No comments:

Post a Comment