Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Heptageniidae Nymph Pattern

This pattern is about as realistic as I care to tie. It's a generic Heptageniidae or "Flat Headed" Mayfly Nymph I put together. These nymphs are common in practically every stream I've sampled and with 500 or so species they are no doubt an important food source for Trout. They are purpose built for crawling around rocks along the stream bottom. However, unlike other species of Mayfly Nymphs such as Baetidae they are poor swimmers and one misstep while crawling around in the current means a helpless snack for a hungry fish (That's not to say plenty Baetis don't get gobbled up!)  I had bought some extra small mono eyes last year for some Caddis Pupa I was tying and figured I could come up with some Mayfly Nymphs that could use them as well. I usually use this pattern as a dropper in tandem with a heavier more generalized nymph. I normally don't worry too much about details like eyes and such when developing my flies but it's fun to experiment at the vise. You may buy something at the flyshop and have only a vague idea ,or none at all, of what to use it for but once you start tying you'll be surprised what you can come up with. Have fun and experiment, therein lies the beauty of Fly Tying!

Hook: Tiemco 3761 sz.14
Thread: Dark Brown Uni 8/0
Tails: Moose Body Hair
Abdomen: Brown Scud Back ( I usually trim the 1/8 strip in half when wrapping bodies)
Rib: Brown UTC Ultra Wire sz. small
Wing Case/Head: Mottled Oak ThinSkin  (Underside colored with Brown permanent marker)
Thorax/Head: Brown SLF Squirrel
Legs: Brown Speckled Hen Saddle ( Tied over the thorax style)
Eyes: Spirit River Black X-Small Mono Eyes


No comments:

Post a Comment