Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Parachute Antics

I guess I'm lucky in that the first Trout I caught on a fly rod I caught on a Dryfly. Most novice anglers might take their first fish with a nymph on an indicator rig or by stripping a black Wooly Bugger but not me, I was blessed with a slow and deliberate rise. Unfortunately however, I can't say I was drifting Duns over furiously feeding fish in the middle of an epic hatch of Sulphurs on a famed eastern Spring Creek. It wasn't such a legendary event. I was fishing with my Father on Morgan Run in Carroll County Md. one Fall afternoon. Anyone familiar with this stream knows there are several pools conveniently located near the parking areas that get absolutely hammered. I was fishing one such spot with little hope of catching anything. No rises anywhere or even fish so it seemed but I kept fishing if only for the "on the water" practice. After trying all the old favorites like Adams and Elk Hair Caddis I tied on a Parachute Ant and cast it above a drowned tree. I followed the bright green post on that fly like a hawk as it approached the submerged timber and as it passed over a log it happened! A silvery head appeared and grabbed the fly, I waited until I felt the fish and set the hook! A minute later I had my first Fly caught Trout in the net and a smile on my face. Since then I always carry a few Parachute Ants with me. I've caught trout practically every month of the year on them regardless if their "in season" or not. Also, the next time your having trouble "Matching the Hatch" try "Un-Matching" it with an Ant pattern and you might be surprised. Furthermore don't be afraid to try larger sizes. There's just something about Ants that Trout love. 

Hook: Tiemco 100 sz. 12-22
Thread: Black Uni 8/0
Body Segments: Black Superfine Dubbing
Post: Hi-Viz Poly Yarn
Hackle: Black


No comments:

Post a Comment