Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Foam Body Poly Humpy (Say that 3 times fast!)

Have you ever been Nymphing and had a trout come up and eat your indicator? I have! I remember the first time it happened I was Nymphing a usually very productive slot where the river makes a sharp turn. I had caught a handful of decent fish there a few days earlier. After probably ten or more perfect drifts I was about to give up, figuring the poachers had been through and taken the fish. I made one last cast and without warning a beautiful brown rose from the depths, grabbing my white Thingamabobber in a "Toilet-Bowl Flush" rise usually reserved for helpless terrestrials! I toyed with the idea of strapping the indicator to a hook with some tippet material stream side but decided to move on having learned a valuable lesson. Since that day I always carry some fluffy buoyant dries with me to use as indicators. Specially tied foam "Indicator" flies are also popping up in Fly Catalogs and on the Internet but I do just fine with high floating Mayfly, Caddis, and Terrestrial imitations. For more information on rigging and fishing indicator dries I highly recommend reading "Fishing Tandem Flies" by Charlie Meck, and "Dynamic Nymphing" by George Daniel. 

Hook: Tiemco 100 (sz.14 shown here)
Thread: Uni 8/0 in Tan
Tails: Moose Body Hair
Body: Tan Razor Foam (when wrapping foam try to push it around the shank instead of stretching it tight, stretching the foam reduces it floatability)
Wing/Shellback: Grey Poly Yarn
Hackle: Brown and Light Dun Whiting 

No comments:

Post a Comment