Thursday, June 20, 2013

Articulated Concoction

Sometimes I get tired of tying small flies. Every once in a while I wanna tie up some meat! I pull out the Schlappen and Marabou and "Get Gnarly" at my vise. I don't always know exactly what I'm going to end up with either. This pattern is the result of one such "Let the Fur Fly" type of tying session. I've probably said this before but one reason we tie our own flies is the freedom to experiment with materials and techniques, and change existing patterns to suit our own aesthetic or develop new ones. So here's an articulated streamer I literally threw together letting the materials be my guide.

Rear Portion:
Hook: VMC Flippin' Hook sz. 2/0
Thread: Uni 6/0 in White
Top/Tail: Chartreuse Zonker Strip
Bottom: White Zonker Strip palmered forward
Flash: Silver Krystal Flash (2 strands per side)
Collar: White Schlappen

Front Portion:
35mm Articulated Shank
Body: Pearl Estaz
Hackle: Large Grizzly Saddle
Flash: Silver Krystal Flash
Wing: Chartreuse Zonker Strip
Eyes: Yellow Lead Dumbell
Head: Grey Senyo's Laser Dub (colored with black permanent marker)



No comments:

Post a Comment