Sunday, June 2, 2013

"Crawl-Dad" Jig Pattern

The weather is heating up here in Maryland and so is the fishing for Bass and Carp. Around the time we're putting air-conditioners in the windows I know it's time to give the Trout a rest for a while and go visit my other finned friends in the lakes and reservoirs. I've already been out for Smallmouth and Largemouth with good results but Carp will be on my mind, and hopefully the end of my line, in the coming weeks. I developed this simple pattern with river Smallies in mind but I'll certainly be tossing in to the Carp as well. When water temperatures get in the high 60's and 70's these bugle lipped bonefish will start to make their way from the main reservoirs into the shallower outskirts to spawn. I've always had my best luck targeting the fish on their way to spawn,and then again after they've spawned. It's not worth fishing them if their in the middle of spawning however it is a sight to behold, imagine a mosh-pit in shallow water! So tie a few of these guys up in different sizes and colors and crawl them or hop them along the bottom.

Hook: Jig Hook ( Any make or model will do, use your favorite, but make sure it's strong and sharp!)
Thread: UTC 140 in Rusty Brown
Eyes: Lead Dumbell
Body/Head: Wapsi Buggy Nymph Yarn in Crawdad Orange
Hackle: Brown Schlappen
Tail/Wing: Crawdad Orange Zonker Strip
Legs: Barred Rubber

No comments:

Post a Comment