Thursday, June 20, 2013

Snowshoe Caddis Emerger

At night I usually sit in my backyard and read, write, and most importantly bug watch. I patrol around the various lights to see what insects have been drawn to their glow. It's been a great way for me to tell what flies to tie and what patterns to bring along for the next days fishing. Also, it affords me the opportunity to collect specimens which I keep on my tying desk for reference. I can always count on Midges buzzing around and have been bombarded by huge Chironomids on more than one occasion. About a month or so ago I started seeing Caddis and they've been arriving nightly ever since. They range in size from 14-18 and vary in color from creamy tan to amber brown. So armed with my reference specimens I hit the tying desk and this pattern, a variation of the "Clown Shoe Caddis" is one of many I've come up with. Enjoy!

Hook: Curved Shank Emerger sz.14 
(shown is a Grip 14731)
Thread: Uni 8/0 in Tan
Shuck: Tan Zelon
Abdomen: Clear Midge Stretch Tubing
Wing: Tan Snowshoe Rabbit 
Thorax: Blend of Tan Hares Ear, Natural Squirrel, and Tan Antron
Hackle: Brown (Trimmed on bottom and top)
Sighter: Orange and Florescent Red Poly Yarn


No comments:

Post a Comment