Thursday, January 23, 2014

Keep Your Scissors On A Leash

     In the early years of my fly tying career I got by with a handful of "drugstore" scissors meant for trimming fingernails or taming pesky nose hairs! Looking back now they were probably better suited for the bathroom than the tying bench but my ever resourceful self got by until my tying got more serious and I needed to invest in a nice pair of micro-tip tying scissors.
      It's been argued that there are two schools of fly tiers, those that keep their scissors in hand while they tie and those that do not. I'm a member of the latter school and it wasn't long before I dropped my pair of shiny new tying scissors, bending their ultra fine points and breaking my heart!
     From that day on I've kept my scissors on a lanyard and wear it around my neck while I tie. It keeps them close by and most importantly secure! I need only grab them when I need to make a cut then let them dangle back when I'm finished with them. Happy Tying!


For open loop scissors like those from ANVIL, place a small plastic zip-tie on the loop to attach the lanyard.



2 comments:

  1. Jonathan, now there is a good tip! Been tying for a lot of years and have seen many, many tips. Never this one. I will share it if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I meant to thank you for sharing my other tip on your blog. Thanks again!

      Delete