Thursday, January 23, 2014

Get Stoned This Winter (3 Patterns For The Early Black Stonefly Hatch)

     I was standing on the bank of a local stream one unusually warm winter day quietly scanning a pool for signs of life when I felt something crawling down the back of my neck. It had only been a year or so since I had started my fledgling journey in Fly Fishing and my still fledgling journey in Trout stream entomology, so I was curious as I reached around and plucked the bug from my neck. What could be hatching on this cold and otherwise lifeless day? As I looked down into my hand I caught a fleeting glimpse of a small black bug with ashen wings before it took flight from my thumb. I figured it wasn't anything to important and I headed upstream to another stretch of water flanked with boulders and rocky shelves. As I carefully made my way onto one of the snow frosted rocks I looked down to check my footing. Silhouetted against the snow like sprinkles on a sundae were what looked like the same tiny black bugs I had seen earlier. On a hunch I climbed off my snowy perch and went back down to the pool where I first noticed them and when I arrived the fish had started to notice them to!
     The dark little bugs crawling around that day I later learned were Black Winter Stoneflies and I've made sure to set aside a row or two for them in my winter box ever since. However many anglers don't acknowledge their importance at all, whether because they don't elicit the feeding frenzy of Trout like other bugs do or simply because a lot of fly fisherman put their rod's up when it starts to get cold. This is a mistake since Black Winter Stones are the first real insects of the year to emerge aside from Midges for example that are available to the fish year round. These little Stoneflies are an important early season food source though, and when their active, might be just the ticket to move a sluggish Trout. I've come up with the three patterns that follow to cover them from top to bottom and if you find yourself on the stream between January and early April give them a try. 

-Winter Stonefly Jig Nymph-
     A Winter Stonefly nymph is probably the best fly to fish when their active. You could use a standard Pheasant Tail or Black Copper John but that wouldn't be any fun! 


Hook: Umpqua C400 BL sz.16 
Thread: Black 8/0
Bead: Black 5/64in. Slotted Tungsten 
Tails: Moose Body Hair
Abdomen: Brown Midge D-Rib
Thorax: UV Black Micro Polar Chenille 
Wingcase: Black 1/8in. ScudBack

-Soft Hackle Winter Stonefly-
     Early Winter Stoneflies don't hatch like other insects do that rise up to the surface and break out of their nymphal cases while they drift in the film. They instead make their way to the bank and crawl out of the water onto a rock or log where they emerge or "molt" into an adult. For this reason it's a good idea to have a wet-fly imitation you can swing from midstream over to the bank. 


Hook: TMC 3761 sz.16-18
Thread: Black 8/0
Tails: Moose Body Hair
Abdomen: Brown Midge D-Rib
Thorax: Black Hare's Ear
Hackle: Dark Speckled Hen Hackle
(You could hide a few turns of lead or a brass or small tungsten bead in the thorax if you like)

-Winter Stonefly Adult-
     Early Black Stonefly adults deposit their eggs by flying over the waters surface or by crawling onto it. One way or another they find their way onto the water and can cause the Trout to rise in the dead of Winter!


Hook: TMC 200R sz.16-18
Thread: Black 8/0
Tails: Moose Body Hair
Abdomen: Black Superfine Dubbing
Wing: Light Dun Poly Yarn Mottled With Permanent Marker
Hackle: Black Genetic Clipped On The Bottom




No comments:

Post a Comment