Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The "Electric Slider" Frog

     This adaptation of the classic Gartside Gurgler has been a great fly for me this Summer. Anyone who chases Bass on top with a fly rod should be familiar with Jack Gartsides legendary fly which is arguably the most effective surface fly ever created. As with most classic flies of this caliber the imitations are endless and anglers from freshwater to salt all have a version they like to fish. This is my version   and here's how I like to fish it. Much like "Target Shooting" with a streamer I like to cast it as tight to cover as I can and strip it back like my life (or the poor little frog's life in this case) depended on it! The wire weedguard allows me to cast right into brush piles, fallen timber, pads, grass, anywhere bass like to hide and ambush fleeing prey. Another great way to fish it is to cast it right onto the bank then hop it off. If a fish doesn't strike after it plops down strip it back and pause it every so often to give any fish tracking it a chance to pounce. Mix it up to find the presentation that works and be prepared for some vicious strikes!

Hook: 3/0 Gamakatsu Weedless Worm 
Thread: Chartreuse UTC 140
Legs: Olive Bucktail over Chartreuse split and posted to form the legs
Underbody: UV Chartreuse Micro Polar Chenille
Overbody: 2mm Chartreuse Craft Foam (I like to dress up the top with permanent markers)
Eyes: Doll Eyes






No comments:

Post a Comment