Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mr. Bubble CDC Caddis

     This Caddis pattern has been sitting on my tying desk for a while now. I wasn't sure what to do with it honestly. It wasn't until recently when I was getting my gear together for a trip to the Gunpowder River that I decided what the hell and stuck it in my box. I'm sure glad I did. 
     We arrived at the river and were greeted by an angler who had just finished fishing. He recommended olive streamers so I tied on an olive Bastard Bugger and made my way down the trail to the boulder pools above Falls Road. I nicked a few fish including one hefty brown that took me into the white water and got loose. The sub-surface bite slowed as the sun came out so we made our way upstream where I was greeted by another angler who was confronted with a unique situation. He explained that the fish were taking Caddis despite the fact there were none coming off or any seen buzzing around. He was taking fish on a standard Elk Hair Caddis and I remembered the bubble wing Caddis I had brought along. So to make a long story short I plucked it out from my box and after a liberal application of Dry Shake went on to catch fish for the rest of the day. Tie a few up, they only require two materials if you count the thread, they float like a buoy, are easy to see, and as Oliver Edwards would say "They work a treat!"

Hook: Tiemco 100 sz. 12-18
Thread: Uni 8/0 in Tan
Wing: 3 pieces of CDC, One light colored piece for the underwing and two darker pieces tied "Bubble Wing" style
Abdomen: Dubbed CDC
Thorax: CDC, touch dubbed, spun in a split thread dubbing loop, or wound as a hackle


Underside, Über Buggy

No comments:

Post a Comment