Sunday, September 22, 2013

The "Butt-Munch" Baitfish

     Here's another baitfish streamer I put together last night at the vise. I had planned on tying up a few of Kelly Galloups Butt Monkeys but as I got going  I decided to add a few things, subtract a few, and substitute some materials. This is what I ended up with so I'm calling it the "Butt-Munch" Baitfish!
     Tying this pattern last night reminded me of something many tiers may overlook. The flies we tie, from streamers to tiny Trout nymphs, look very different when wet in the water than they do dry clamped in our vise. It just so happened I was testing out some "Walk The Dog" style topwater flies in my bathtub so I decided to get this guy wet to see how it would look to the fish. It looked great! 
     The next time you tie something it doesn't hurt to test it out in the bathtub, sink, or if your lucky rig up your rod and make a few casts into your swimming pool! Fully understanding your materials and their individual properties is paramount to simply knowing how to attach them to a hook. Furthermore, how your flies perform in the water in front of a hungry fish is what matters, not just how they look to us under the artificial light at the tying bench.

Hook: Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H sz. 2
Thread: White Uni 6/0
Tail: White Marabou over Pearl Ice Dub
Wing: Magnum Cut Grey Rabbit Zonker
Body: Pearl Estaz
Hackle: White Schlappen
Eyes: Painted Lead Dumbell
Head: Grey Senyo's Laser Dub




     

No comments:

Post a Comment